Saturday 23 June 2012

Making Flavoured Oils - Step One


Inspired by Soup Tuesday (twitter: @souptuesday), I recently decided to use my herb garden. It's sat dormant all winter (and let's be fair, we've not really had a spring and I'm not even convinced it's summer yet...)

So I did a little check of what's there and I have two types of mint (peppermint and Indian mint), oodles of sage and a little thyme, as well as lavender and garlic.



Just goes to show: the mint is basically indestructible: I can't tell you how little I tend my herbs but they never die - if anything I have to restrain them as they would take over the world if they could. That's why they are in their own separate pot. I tried putting mint in with other stuff in the good old days when I was innocent and naive and it just totally took over.

So... I cut some sage and thyme and took some garlic out and put them (separately) in three airtight glass bottles I'd bought (at Hobbycraft!) and poured in some good quality olive oil. My friend @souptuesday tells me that in about a month they should be good to go so I will let you know if my experiment has worked in a few weeks time!

In case you were wondering, sage is on the left, thyme in the middle and garlic on the right. Interesting how the sage almost looks like it's in suspended animation...



1 comment:

  1. Those bottles look great! I can sense a trip to Hobbycraft coming on...!

    ReplyDelete